Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Small Business

I have always made cakes and cookies for our family, but last week I had my first two orders for people outside of our family. My first order was a cake for some of our church family, whose son was graduating from college.


The order wasn't very specific and I was free to do whatever I wanted. The cake was vanilla with white butter cream and all of the decorations were made from fondant.


The graduation cap is a small round cake covered with fondant and the mortar board is made out of a fondant/gum paste mixture.


My favorite thing was all of the curly ribbons.


Ryan's favorite kind of cake is carrot, so I decided to make him a small one to take home.


Carrot cakes are usually covered with cream cheese frosting, so that is what I used for this cake. This was my first time making this kind of cake, and boy is cream cheese frosting tricky to work with.


To do this ribbon effect, the frosting needs to be pretty thick, however, this kind gets really soft in the piping bag.


Overall, I was VERY please with how this order turned out, and can't wait to make more cakes.


Cookies are my favorite sweet treat to make, and I was so happy when my friend Jessica asked me to make some cookies to celebrate the birth of her nephew. Jess and I have been friends since the first grade, and I felt honored to be a part of the celebration for baby Grayson.


I LOVE this color combo!!


Thanks for this opportunity Jess!! Every week this month I have orders...I am so exicted to see how they all turn out!!

3 comments:

Your favorite MIL said...

You are very talented!!! I suggest the name "Dana's Delectable Delights"....

Anique said...

You do such CUTE detailed work. I love it! It's nice to have some creativity to relate to in the gray bunch ;)!!!

Kyler said...

The cake and cookies look great. Mom, that name is weak. I'm excited for you!