Friday, March 26, 2010

Big Boy, No Pacifiers

A few weeks ago we tried to take Karter's pacifier away at bed time. I had gone to the doctor that day and I had her tell him what a big boy he was and that he didn't need a pacifier. It worked...until bedtime! He screamed and became totally hysterical, so in a moment of weakness we gave it back to him. We took this as a sign that he wasn't ready to give them up, but continued to tell him what a big boy he was and that he didn't need a pacifier anymore. (He only gets it at bedtime.) Well, yesterday morning when I got him out of bed he handed me his pacifiers and I asked him if he wanted me to put them away or should he throw them away in Grandma's bathroom (that is what he calls our guest bathroom). I totally didn't think he would do it, but he got right out of bed and threw them away! We waved bye-bye to the pacifiers and I took the trash out. I was really nervous, because we hadn't really talked about taking the pacifier away but figured if he was willing to throw it away we should do it! This time I knew what to expect, he would cry and scream but Kristoffer and I needed to show a little tough love. At nap time he cried for 10-15 minutes and then went to sleep for his normal 1 1/2 hours. Bedtime was a little bit more rough, he got out of bed and was crying and banging against the door, but after 10 or so minutes he was quit. When we went to check on him, we expected him to be asleep on the floor or something, but he was back in bed asleep...and we haven't heard from him all night!! I am so proud of our big boy!
Here is a little video of what Karter was saying all day yesterday, but Kaden kept trying to upstage him!

4 comments:

Gramaw T said...

Precious!!! Kaden is so sweet, cooing and talking...can't wait to get my hands on him and smooch his little neck! And Karter, what a big boy. Gramaw is so proud of him! I am so looking forward to seeing you all TOMORROW!!!
Love and kisses!

Jess said...

Big boy Karter and cutie "Kado"! How fun!

Just wanted to say hello! Enjoy the weekend. Love Jess

Kara said...

I love the conversation between you and Karter. I can't stop laughing when he says "none". He is such a cute boy!

Kyler said...

This video is great! I can already see Karter and Kaden duking it out for Mom's attention.